Show and Tell

Posted by Mama Sez | Tuesday, March 09, 2010

It was Leon’s turn for “Show and Tell”, a school activity wherein a child brings a living or non-living object to school to show to their classmates and to tell something about it.

Some classmates brought their baby pictures to show how cute they were, sporting their lovely baby clothes and striking a ‘Hollywood’ pose. Others brought their pets and explained how they care for them. It’s like sharing a piece of their life story.

Leon doesn’t have a pet to bring and the idea of bringing a baby picture is all worn out. So, what will he bring for the show and tell? Well, this little guy who is only seven years old had the answer ready before he even told me that his turn is coming.

“I’m going to bring my treasure box. In this treasure box are recycled clam shells that I will later sell to people so I can be rich,” he said.

I wanted to laugh at his naïve money-making idea, but he continued.

“If I sell it at one peso each and then I have one million shells, then I will have one million pesos.”

He was beginning to make sense, but I needed to redirect him to our current predicament.

Yes, he can bring the shells to school. What a clever idea! These are shells he and his sister thoroughly washed and dried after one dinner we had about a month ago. They really believed that these kinds of materials can still be put into good use rather than dumped in the trash bin. Though they didn’t know exactly how the shells can be utilized, they kept them in their room.

When asked what to tell his classmates about the clam shells, he replied:

“Clam soup is very yummy and nutritious, and clam shells can be recycled…Mom what will I do with these clam shells if nobody buys from me?”

I suggested creating an artwork using clam shells and sell the artwork instead.

“Alright, then I will not call this (pointing to the box) as my treasure box, it will only be my clam box. The artwork will be the treasure,”  he declared.

His elder sister, Rica, got inspired and also made one. Alas, after one month, the clam shells finally met their purpose and reached another destination.

The night before the scheduled “show and tell,” he asked me to go to their school at exactly 10:45 in the morning to accompany him during his presentation, like what other parents do for his classmates.

“Are you nervous?” I inquired.

“No!”  he answered emphatically.

“Are you not confident that you can do this on your own?” I asked again.

“I know what to do and what to say Mom because we practiced. It’s just that I see other parents go there,” he reasoned.

“For other parents who would need to bring a big dog to school, I understand them coming over.  But for others who don’t need to bring anything, what do they do once they are there?” now driving home my point.

“Nothing.”

“So do you think I should really be coming? You would only have to bring a small piece of artwork and this small clam box, which I can easily pack in a plastic bag,” I explained.

“No need Mom, I can handle it.”

THAT’S MY BOY! I’M PROUD OF YOU LEON!


Follow parentsjourney on Twitter

Bookmark and Share

4 comments
  1. shelley March 10, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

    hi josephine,
    what a sweet story... when you started talking about peso's i knew you were filipino... lol... i popped over to your recipe section to seee if you had your version of adobo or fruit salad... you'll have to get those filipino fav's up there for all of the americanos who haven't had the opportunity to try the deliciousness that they are! following you now too!
    have a wonderful day!
    shelley
    http://iamstillstandingafterallthistime.blogspot.com/

  2. Mama Sez March 11, 2010 at 5:35 PM  

    Wow, you just gave me an idea Shelly. I'll be more than willing to share my version of Adobo and Fruit Salad. My husband even suggested that we video record the procedure. Thanks for your suggestion and for following :)

  3. mjomesa March 13, 2010 at 4:00 AM  

    Hi ms Josephine,

    Mr Michael here. Leon was so proud that time. In fact, he just didn't share how to make an artwork from shells but he shared so many scientific facts about such. Amused and amazed, I sat there listening to him as he discussed his craft with confidence. He is such a smart boy. Lately, he was talking more about inventing something. His ideas are endless.

  4. Mama Sez March 15, 2010 at 1:59 AM  

    Hello Mr. Michael,

    So glad to find your message here. Leon was elated to read your comment. Thanks for supporting his ingenuity. Having you as his teacher is truly a blessing.
    Thanks :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Us (circa 2009)

Our journey led us to this place. A little more than 10 years ago we began our journey as husband and wife. Three years later, we found ourselves with two bundles of joy- a daughter and then a son. They're the children we've dreamed of having.

About five years since the birth of our son, an unexpected gift came- a younger brother to our school-age kids. And soon enough, a baby girl arrived to round the family membership.

Brave was a term used by a friend to describe us. Challenging... and loving it -- yeah, this journey is not for the faint of heart.