Follow parentsjourney on TwitterReading a magazine while having my toenails done in a salon a few years back, I came across a carbonara recipe. I had the impression that it’s gonna be a quick and easy but delicious treat that is worth trying out for my kids. Since I have no pen and paper with me that time, I just tried to remember the ingredients and the procedure hoping that I can store most of them in my head and retrieve from my memory bank when needed.

While procuring the ingredients I felt unsure if I’m getting the exact stuff mentioned in the magazine, but I went on with it anyway. Cooking was the next challenge for I can’t recall the ratios…hmmm how much should I put??? At that point of no return, it's was clear that I had to create my own version... LOL. Well, what's the worst thing that can happen? I might be wasting money, time and effort, but never a chance to learn.

How did it turn out? ...my carbonara was GREAT! My family loved it and had been requesting for it until now. My daughter even volunteered to her teacher that she’ll bring it for their school’s Christmas Party. It was also a hit to our relatives in one of those gatherings that quite a number had asked for the recipe.

So I am going to share my own version of carbonara in this blog for all of my readers to benefit. Below is the list of ingredients and the procedure in case you'll be inspired to give your kids a special treat at home. Indulge in its creamy goodness from time to time.

Ingredients:
500 g Pasta of your choice (Fettuccini, Bowtie, Elbow Macaroni, Spaghetti, Shells)
1 cup Butter (Salted)
3 cloves Garlic, minced
250 g Corned Beef
4 slices Cooked Ham, diced
1 can Mushroom Pieces and Stems
1 can Cream of Mushroom
2 packs Nestle All-Purpose Cream
1 cup Evaporated or Fresh Milk
1 cup Grated Cheese
200 g Fried Bacon Bits

Procedure:

Cook the pasta as per label instructions. Place in a large bowl or food tray and set aside. In a pan, melt butter and sauté the garlic. Stir in corned beef for 2 minutes then mix in cooked ham and mushroom. Pour in cream of mushroom, all-purpose cream, and milk. Let boil for 2 minutes with occasional stirring. Add half of the grated cheese and stir until it melts and becomes incorporated with the sauce. Pour sauce in the pasta bowl. For added flavor and garnishing, sprinkle with fried bacon bits and the remaining grated cheese.











Tsk, tsk, tsk, I was not able to take a picture of the finished product because my son was not able to resist and just excitedly dug into it upon seeing it on the table. Now, you can imagine how tempting this dish is.=D

Bookmark and Share

1 comments
  1. oak dining room table December 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM  

    Wow! Thanks for this. My kids really don't like carbonara much.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Us (circa 2009)

Our journey led us to this place. A little more than 10 years ago we began our journey as husband and wife. Three years later, we found ourselves with two bundles of joy- a daughter and then a son. They're the children we've dreamed of having.

About five years since the birth of our son, an unexpected gift came- a younger brother to our school-age kids. And soon enough, a baby girl arrived to round the family membership.

Brave was a term used by a friend to describe us. Challenging... and loving it -- yeah, this journey is not for the faint of heart.