Hair Cut at Mama Sez's Hair Salon

Posted by Papa Sez | Wednesday, February 24, 2010

All my children were born either sparsely-haired or bald. A trait they got from me and my side of the family. It's only when they turn two years old that their head becomes gloriously crowned :D Instead of bringing them to a barber shop or kiddie salon for a haircut, I try to do it myself recalling how the barber cuts my husband’s hair.

In the case of my daughter, it is easier because I just need to make the ends straight.  My husband even does it a few times such that the agreed six-inch reduction turns out to be 10!...LOL...to the consternation of my daughter because she had always wanted to wear her hair long. When she turned 9, she wanted to try a different hairstyle, layered with long bangs.  Gosh, we needed professional help! So that was her first salon experience.

 

Going back to the boys, our older son goes to a professional barber when he started attending school. I got scared that others might notice the imperfections in my work and might poke fun of his hair. So it was then that he broke free from my scissors. Now, it has become a bonding time for father and son to go to the barbershop together.

Now, I have a new customer...it’s the turn of our toddler. He is nothing like his brother who was so tamed and cooperative even when he was only two years old. It was easy for me to cut his hair and the session finishes quickly. That was history because now I have to deal with my playful child who always tests my patience. 

“Zeki, keep looking at the tree over there and don’t move your head so I can give you a really nice haircut,” I told him with a tone of authority. 

“Mommy, I don’t like the tree, I like the bird.” Oh well, wherever the bird goes his eyes follow. 

“Zeki, please stop moving your head...I am now getting dizzy!” 

“You are dizzy, Mommy? Sorry, here’s a kiss for you...tsup, tsup.” 

Sooo sweet, but still in his usual agile self, he stood up on the chair, sat on the floor and laid down the floor all in a matter of a minute or two. 

Well, with more egging and begging, we finally settled down to a position where we can finish this hair cut session.  While almost lying down the floor and both of us singing ‘A- you’re Adorable...’ we made progress...and eventually, to completion. My little boy gets bored easily. The photos below tell it all. But hey, look at those cute and funny faces he was making.

  
 

Then it was time for him to take a bath. He was so excited to apply his father’s styling gel on his newly-cut hair that the usually long bathing sessions ended quickly. Pleased by what he saw in the mirror, he went straight to his father and boasts “Papa, I’m handsome already!”

So why do we insist on cutting their hair when we can just bring them to the nearest barber shop and be spared from all those troubles? Cutting our children’s hair...

• saves us money- the service is free though not risk-free...LOL;
• provides opportunity to get to know every inch of our children’s growing hair,as well as practice and learn to positively deal with their different personalities;
• provides opportunity to bond with them;
• gives a chance for us to develop a new skill;
• and the outcome gives utmost satisfaction.

Look at him with his newly-cut hair, isn’t he gorgeous?

Follow parentsjourney on Twitter

Bookmark and Share

6 comments
  1. fabgirl February 25, 2010 at 1:11 AM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  2. fabgirl February 25, 2010 at 1:13 AM  

    What a great job Mama Sez, Zeki looks so handsome with his new hairstyle:-)

  3. Mama Sez February 25, 2010 at 2:03 AM  

    Thanks Fabgirl. Without gel, tirik-tirik, lol. Another session in 2-months time.

  4. Lita C. Malicdem February 25, 2010 at 3:28 AM  

    Mama Sez,
    Zeki is adorable! Pa-kurot! Thanks for the follow. I'm now your fan, too.

  5. Mama Sez February 26, 2010 at 10:41 AM  

    Hi Ms Lita, thanks for the compliment. He is now in the troublesome two stage...makulit at malikot, hehehe...but still adorable.

  6. Chris Eddy March 1, 2010 at 7:37 AM  

    Absolutely precious!! Ahhh, your children are beautiful. Zeki, love that name.

    You know, I too have done my son's hair many times. He's fifteen now but I did it for him several months ago. He was pissed though when I messed up so that might be the last time, lol.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Us (circa 2009)

Our journey led us to this place. A little more than 10 years ago we began our journey as husband and wife. Three years later, we found ourselves with two bundles of joy- a daughter and then a son. They're the children we've dreamed of having.

About five years since the birth of our son, an unexpected gift came- a younger brother to our school-age kids. And soon enough, a baby girl arrived to round the family membership.

Brave was a term used by a friend to describe us. Challenging... and loving it -- yeah, this journey is not for the faint of heart.